Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Week #16 Question #2

What concept's in this class have you found most interesting? What was it about that concept's that you found interesting?

I would have to say that I found the most interesting concepts covered within the class to be tose that dealt with communication within the new realm of the Internet. The ability for people to have absolute access to information, create virtual worlds, and assume and anonymous and face-less identity are all issues which we as a society are becoming more aware of day by day. I found this concept interesting because I have experience with people who have completely dedicated their lives to living within an online world. Their motivations, and the factors that allow such access, have always been things that have fascinated me. There is nothing wrong with playing games; I am myself an avid gamer. When the game, however, takes the core identity of an individual and becomes their living motiviation...that is where problems arise and addiction sets in. A couple years ago I jokingly came up with a slogan for friends of mine who were addicted to online gaming. Now, more than ever, that slogan rings true: "LIVE IRL" (in real life)

No comments: